Why Businesses Should Have a Budget for SEO
Everyone knows the importance of SEO, but it’s surprising how many businesses still underestimate the advantage of being on the first page of Google’s search results. Getting to the top of the SERPs can bring even bigger benefits. So it’s quite surprising to know that some businesses are not spending enough time and money on SEO.
If you are one of them, then you need a refresher course on the importance of SEO:
- SEO can bring thousands (or even millions) of new potential customers to your website. Almost 12 billion searches are made in Google each month. Now add Bing and Yahoo users to that. That’s how big your potential market is.
- SEO isn’t just for global reach. It’s also for you to reach local customers who live or work near your store. With SEO, more customers in your neighborhood will know about you and what you offer, and they’ll know where your business is located.
- You can reach people on the go through SEO. People are looking for convenient places to shop and dine with their smartphones and tablets. About half of them start their search through search engines, and only about a quarter of them use their apps. Now you can reach people when they want to find alternate products or cheaper items when they are in your competitor’s store.
- You can reach people who are actually interested in what you have to sell. Consider that those who see your website type in the keywords that are relevant to your niche. These are the people who have already expressed an interest, so you have a greater chance of making a sale. But that will happen only when they can see your website on the first page of the SERPs.
- SEO aims to get you to the top of results, and that funnels visitors to your website. When you’re at the top, you’ll get about a third of all those people who typed in those keywords. Being number two only gets you have the number received by the top position. And you are virtually ignored when you’re on the second page because very few people bother to click on “Next”.
- Without a budget for SEO, you are essentially doing SEO yourself. But your competitors will have SEO experts helping them, and that means their websites have a greater chance of taking those crucial top positions in the SERPs. You’re expending valuable time and effort and not getting the results you want because you don’t have the expertise that SEO experts possess.
Remember, Google is famous for finding the most excellent websites that will fill a person’s needs when they type certain keywords in the search bar. As a business owner, it’s your job to build with a website that’s relevant and useful, so Google can find you.
And that’s what SEO experts do. They make it easier and quicker for Google to find your business website. But that kind of expertise will cost money, and that’s why you need to set a budget for your SEO.